Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Lights

So at my new job, my department sat in the dark. They just kept the lights off. It was dark, not just dim, but dark. That was the first and second shift area. The third shift sat in a different area, and when I moved on to third, they also sat in the dark. I figured that it would be easier to convince 6 people to start turning on the lights more than I would have been to try to convince 30.

Anyway after my first week on third, I started getting everyone to let the lights be kept on. Well after a couple of days, some of the other people started petitioning to keep the lights on as well.

With the lights on, people were finding it easier to not get so tired. Also people started talking. Before no one really talked during the shift. I bet just in general people were working better as well.

We were relocated this week over back in to the area that the first and second shift sit in. As we were moving my manager said that we were going to be keeping the lights on all the time during our shift. :)

If was funny watching the first shift people come in the next morning. Some of them were just complaining up a storm about the lights. Now we only had the lights on above the area that we sat in, and the area that they were in was still in the dark, but just not as dark. But surprisingly many were coming over and making comments about how they wish they could have the lights on during the day as well. Even our VP made a comment about how he liked it.

If I make only one change at my new job, bringing the department into the light won't be too bad.

No comments: