Friday, August 15, 2008

Second week in San Antonio

Well I have been in San Antonio for 16 days now. So far I have not found the heat that big of a deal. The humidity on the other hand is gross. I am glad I am not in a place with real high humidity. It is the worst in the morning before it warms up (because 75 degrees at 7am is normal?!). Once it gets up to temp the relative humidity drops and it does not feel so bad.

I just finished the new employee orientation at my new job. They run it for a total of a full week. The first Monday, then once a month all the new hires go through a continuation of the orientation. I have never worked at a place that in your first week you would meet and talk with the CEO, the chairman of the board, and the two founders. That was just the beginning. You also get to meet many of the upper management. Now when I say you get the meet them, I don't just mean you get to shake there hand and they rush off to do something else, making you feel like you mean nothing to them. They actually have a conversation with you. All of them went over their allotted time on the training schedule. They honestly and truly wanted to spend time with you and get to know you and get you to know them and the company. It was very cool.

There were 50 other new hires in the orientation with me. They had us broken up in to 6 groups so we could get to know people a little better. I got to know my group pretty will. Throughout the week there were little competitions to earn points. In the end my group got second. The competitions meant nothing, they were just for fun. There is a lot of fun that goes on here. Don't get me wrong though, there is a lot of work that gets done too. The company would not be around otherwise.

Next week I start my actual job training. From what I can tell so far I will be shadowing other engineers for a while and working my way through a training checklist.

My commute to work is a little long. On a good day so far it takes me about 30 minutes. The worst day has been 50 minutes. I am taking the most direct route so far. I have been a little afraid to start finding some short cuts to get around, in fear that I will get lost or find out that they are long cuts.

So I got my cell phone bill today. I used 898 of my 900 minutes. Not bad. Take that overage charges! :)

898 normal minutes
748 IN minutes
448 weekend minutes
--------
2094 minutes talked last month! I spent almost a day and a half on the phone. This is about 100% more than I normally talk. All of this on top of 883 txt messages.

No comments: