Sunday, August 17, 2008

Church shopping

On Saturday evening I went to the Bandera Road Community Church. It is a bit on the large side. But like every church I have been to so far in San Antonio, the only people that have said hello to me have been the greeters as they hand me the bulletin. Overall I liked the service. There was a good message, and I just got an overall good feeling about the place. So when the service let out, there was somewhat of a crowd of people leaving, so I just stayed put in my seat. I was sitting in an area that allowed for me to see many of the people, and they could all see me, but still no one came over to introduce them self. Once the majority of the crowd had left the sanctuary, I got up and went out in to the foyer. I wandered around for a few minutes and still no one talked to me. So I went out to my car and went home.

This morning, I went to The Church at Stone Oak. This is a church that Paul, the guy that was the relocater at my new job, goes to. I got there just a few minutes early. The place is not that big. A little smaller than Liberty. I picked a seat in the back, and almost immediately a guy came up and introduced him self. We talked for a few minutes. Then another person came over and introduced him self. All in all about 6 guys introduced them self to me before the service even began. The service was good. The church has an intern for the summer and it was his first time preaching in front of the church. He did a great job. After the service I went to say hi to Paul (he plays the bass in the band) and he introduced me to a few other people and then asked if I would like to go to lunch.

We went to lunch and the lead pastor happened to go to the same restaurant. While he was waiting for his food he sat with us and talked. Turns out that about half of the staff and congregation is from the Northwest. No good reason why, it is just the way things have gone for them. I think they may be adding another to their list. The only issue is they only have one service right now at 10am. This may be tough to do once I go on to the 3rd shift. But I think for now I will see how things go.

I was hoping to find a church with a group of people my age. This place has a lot of younger married with kids. The church definitely has something happening in it. I think I will stick around a bit and see what I can do to help.

1 comment:

Katie said...

I am happy to see that you are stepping out and trying churches. It can be hard to do by yourself!! I'll continue to pray for you to find the right fit, and that you will find peace in a new church family in Texas : )